Inicio / Location / Monastery of St. Chrysogonus

Monastery of St. Chrysogonus

croce oro pequena

The monastery of St. Crysogonus (Krševan) emerged next to the church of St. Chryosgonus, which was built to honour the earthly remains of this martyr, which according to legend were brought to Zadar from the town next to Aquileia as early as 649. The first mention of this monastery is found in the will of the Zadar prior Andrija from 918. The abbot mentioned as a witness in the will was Adalbert from St. Chryosgonus Abbey. According to available historical sources, during the 10th century, the monastery was closed down. It came to life again at the end of 986 when the Zadar prior Majo, in agreement with the Zadar nobles and other citizens, allowed the building of a new monastery, next to the church of St. Chryosgonus, on the site of the old one in order to organize the monastery life according to the rule of St. Benedict. The arrangement of the monastery was entrusted to abbot Madi, originally from Zadar, who came to Zadar from Montecassino. Several Croatian rulers and dignitaries endowed the monastery with properties, among them was king Petar Krešimir IV. He confirmed many properties in Diklo to the monastery, and in 1069 he donated the entire island of Maun.