
The monastery is located in the area of Patleyna, in the Dragoevska Mountain – the Eastern Pre-Balkan Range, high above the right bank of the Golyama Kamchia River, 2-2.5 km south of the Capital fortress wall and about 6 km south of the present-day Veliki Preslav. The archaeological research was carried out in 1909-1914 by Yordan Gospodinov. The monastery was built in the late 9th century and functioned throughout the 10th century. The complex consists of a church, residential and economic buildings, organized in 3 courtyards – prayer, residential and economic ones. The monastery ossuary also belongs to it, from which 6 masonry burial chambers were revealed.