
The Benedictine Abbey St. Burkard in Würzburg has its origin in the Andreas Monastery which was founded in 748 by St. Burkard, the first bishop of Würzburg. Over the course of the 10th century, the impoverished Benedictine monastery was abandoned until it was rebuilt and revived by Bishop Hugo in 986. Similtaneously, the monastery also recieved the bones of St. Burkard and was renamed into St. Burkardus Monastery. Around the year 1000, the old monastery building was destroyed by a fire. The monastery, including its church St. Burkard, was rebuilt at a different place in a romanesque style under Abbot Willemund in the years 1033-1042. After the construction was finished, the new building was consecrated by Bishop Bruno in the presence of Emperor Heinrich III.